Monday, March 24, 2014

"Where I'm From"

I'm from daily games of tag.
From running through the long green
grass.
I'm from the dandelions, 
    The seed pods that flew through the 
    air as they were blown away.
From the swing set, hiding so many 
    secrets.

I'm from our green and white living 
room.
From setting the christmas tree,
From decorating too.
I'm from "A Christmas Story",
    Playing on TV as we opened beautifully 
    wrapped presents.
From "throw the paper away",
    And a floor littered with gifts.

I'm from a group of crazy kids.
From helping someone off the jungle 
    gym
    And knowing they'd try it again 
    anyways.
I'm from the monopoly board.
From crowding aroud with parents
    And crying for the small metallic dog
I'm from always losing,
    And thinking dad was the best

I'm from bandaged hands
    From little fingers under the treadmill,
    Groping for the runaway toy.
From the first-aid kit,
From calming "it'll be okays" and warm 
    comforting hugs from caring parents.

I'm from memories,
From memories of friends and games,
   Of injuries and mistakes,
   Of family and moments shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment